- Who is eligible for early childhood education services at ECEP?
ECEP is open to all members of the local community; you do not need to be a UC Berkeley student, faculty or staff member in order to apply. We serve infants and children up to the age of 58 months.
- If I am not associated with UC Berkeley, is my child still eligible to enroll at ECEP?
Yes. All parents interested in our program are encouraged to apply, and no affiliation with UC Berkeley is required. UC Berkeley students, faculty, and staff do receive priority.
- How are applications prioritized?Applicants are prioritized in the following order:
- Children of UC Berkeley students, faculty, and staff
- Children of visiting scholars, Lawrence Berkeley National Labs (LBNL), UC Office of the President, and other UC campus staff/faculty families
- Children of families unaffiliated with the university.
- What is the age eligibility for ECEP?
ECEP provides care for children up to the age of eligibility for TK and/or Kindergarten (58 months).
- Is there an application deadline?
No. There is not an application deadline. Applications are accepted year-round. However, early applications are advisable. The acceptance process begins in January for summer and fall spaces.
- Will my child be able to join ECEP after the beginning of the fall semester?
Yes. If there is space available, your child will be able to join ECEP after the beginning of the fall semester. However, fewer spaces are available later in the year because most students do begin in the summer or fall. Available spaces are first filled from the Wait List and Eligibility List, then from new applications.
- I see there are different applications for student parents and others. Which application should I use?
Please visit the Enrollment page for details on the different types of applications and on how to apply.
- Who is eligible for a subsidy?
UC Berkeley student parents are eligible for a subsidy. Community members are not eligible for a subsidy. Parents must meet California Department of Education need eligibility requirements.
- What happens to my subsidy if I am no longer a student at UC Berkeley?
Only UC Berkeley students are eligible for subsidized care. If you are no longer a Berkeley student, you will no longer be eligible for a subsidy. However, your child can continue with ECEP as a full tuition student.
- Is there a wait list for ECEP?
If a space is not available for your child, you will be placed on a wait list. Your application remains active until your child is age-eligible for TK and/or Kindergarten — unless you withdraw from the list, or if you do not respond to three contact attempts.
If you are offered a space and decline, you may ask to remain on the list for a space that may become available at a later date. When a space becomes available, it will be for a child of a particular age, and the applications for that age range will be reviewed. The date an application is received is very important. Our admissions coordinator will usually be able to give you a general idea regarding your child’s status on the wait list.
If you applied for subsidized services, see the FAQ about the Eligibility List.
- What is the difference between the Wait List and the Eligibility List?
Applicants for full tuition placement who are not accommodated will be placed on the Wait List.
If you are eligible for subsidized services, but are not accepted into the program due to space limitations, low priority number or late application, you will be placed on an Eligibility List. Status on the Eligibility List is based on income and, unlike a Wait List, status does not automatically improve over time. All applications are reviewed according to State Eligibility Guidelines as they are submitted and the Eligibility List is updated accordingly.
You will need to inform the Early Childhood Education Programs Office if there is a change in your income, family size, activity of either parent, or if you want your application withdrawn from the list.
- Is there an application fee?
The application fee is currently $50 for non-students and waived for UC Berkeley students.
- How can I obtain an application?
Please visit the Enrollment page for details on applications and how to apply.
- Am I able to choose which center my child will attend?
You are able to request a preference for a specific center. However, your application is for the Early Childhood Education Program as a whole and there is no guarantee that there will be space at any one center. ECEP will offer you a space at a particular center based on a combination of your preference, your child’s age, and available spaces.
- Will my child be required to participate in research?
No. You will be notified ahead of time when there will be a research study or survey in your child’s classroom, and you will have the opportunity to choose whether to participate.
Read more about ECEP students and research.
- What is the teacher-child ratio?
ECEP has an excellent adult-child ratio. We staff classrooms not just according to Title V licensing requirements, but to best-practice standards. Adult-child ratios at the centers range from 1:3 in infant rooms, to 1:4 in toddler rooms, and 1:8 in preschool rooms.
Read more about our teaching staff qualifications.
- As a parent or family member, will I be able to participate in the classroom?
Yes. Parents are welcome to volunteer in the classroom. For parents who want to be involved but cannot volunteer during the workday, there are other opportunities. Contact your center director for specific information.
- Are there vaccine requirements?
According to a new California law, parents or guardians of students in any school or child-care facility, whether public or private, will no longer be allowed to submit a personal beliefs exemption to a currently-required vaccine. Read more about the new vaccine requirements.
- How can I take a tour?Once we receive your application, you can contact the main office to request a tour of one of our five centers.